Friday, January 8, 2016
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Image Source: www.designboom.com
Starbucks Cafe, Washington
Image Source: http://inhabitat.com
Beitang Container Restaurant, Tianjin, China
Image Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7onIK-DjQ0
Container of Hope, Costa Rica
Image Source: http://inhabitat.com
Saturday, February 2, 2013
Saturday, August 11, 2012
Friday, May 25, 2012
1. Mobile Residential UnitA mobile residential unit is made up of a single 20ft long shipping container. The container is fabricated from inside and outside to add living unit elements to it, such as doors, windows, heat insulation, power supply and water connections. Custom size door and windows can be added to suit a particular requirement. The container sides are insulated from inside to control the heat in summer weather and cold in winters. Residential unit is equipped with bathroom and kitchen area as well. A single point water connection and power connection is provided to allow the container to be placed anywhere with a power socket and water connection. The unit is mobile from the fact that, it can be lifted by a crane and transported on a trailer truck to any place of your choice. The unit can be placed on a trailer as well and can be pulled as a trailer unit.
2. Home OfficeA home office is a unique concept which allows the creation of an office space at home without making any structural changes to your existing house. A container home office unit made from a 20ft or 40ft long shipping container. The container is fabricated from inside and outside to create the office space by adding doors, windows, heat insulation, power supply and water connections. The office furniture can be placed as a standalone unit or can be custom made by utilizing the container inner sides and roof to create extremely flexible and less-space-occupying furniture. The container home office unit can be transported to your place of choice by a trailer truck and placed into the right place using a crane. The container home office unit can be placed at any space in your house. Possible options are garden area, house backyard, roof top or any other open space.
3. House ExtensionAn existing house can be extended by adding new living units made from Shipping Containers without destroying or constructing any new structural elements using traditional brick and mortar. The house is extended by new custom made residential units from shipping containers. Living unit elements such as doors, windows, heat insulation, power supply and water connections are added to the shipping container. Custom size door and windows can be added to suit a particular requirement. The container sides are insulated from inside to control the heat in summer weather and cold in winters. Residential unit is equipped with bathroom and kitchen area as well. A single point water connection and power connection is provided to allow the container to be placed anywhere with a power socket and water connection. The new residential units can be placed at rooftops, garden area, house backyard or any other open space. The unit either needs a 20ft X 8ft(160sqft) paved surface area or four pillars on which the container living unit can be placed. The pillars can be added to the garden area or house backyard and then the container living unit can be placed on it.
4. Guest RoomsGuest rooms are created using shipping containers. The mobile residential unit and house extension container units are used to create guest rooms at short notice. The entire setup is extremely easy to install and remove when not required.
5. Resort Living UnitA resort living unit is made up of a single 20ft long shipping container. The container is fabricated from inside and outside to add living unit elements to it, such as doors, windows, heat insulation, power supply and water connections. Custom size door and windows can be added to suit a particular requirement. The container sides are insulated from inside to control the heat in summer weather and cold in winters. Residential unit is equipped with bathroom and kitchen area as well. A single point water connection and power connection is provided to allow the container to be placed anywhere with a power socket and water connection. The unit is provided a balcony at the top of the container, which provides a sit out area and works as the collection surface for water harvesting and solar power. The unit are pre-fabricated and installed as and when needed. Traditional brick-mortar or wood made living units require an army of skilled labor to create such a unit, apart from the labor problem, the entire place need to be dug up and construction needs to take place at the site, rendering the place not usable and spoiling the overall look and feel of the resort. The container living units are pre-fabricated and transported to the resort site on trailer tucks. They are placed at the exact site in a matter of hours. Compared to traditionally made living units, container living units are hassle free and extremely fast to create and can be install at any site. This directly results in a better return on your investment, as the container living units are ready to be let out from day one, rather than waiting for couple of months to get it ready.
6. Farm House Living UnitA resort living unit can be used as a Personal Farm House Living Unit as well. With the benefits as above mentioned, it is a unique concept by which farm houses can be equipped with mobile / temporary accommodation which is fast to install and extremely cost effective.
7. Roof Top RoomsRoof tops of existing houses can be used to place mobile container living units to create hassle free and cost-effective extra rooms.
8. Swimming PoolsShipping Containers can be converted into innovative swimming pools. The container is fabricated and sealed to make a water-tight water tank with provisions for inlet and outlet. The container swimming pool unit can be placed in pit or on the ground level. The cost of creating a swimming pool out of shipping container is less than half the cost of a traditional brick-and-mortar swimming pool.
9. Container CafeShipping containers can be used to create innovative and designer cafes which are cost-effective and faster to build. Multiple containers are joined together in different positions to create useful spaces inside and outside the structure.
10. Container HotelAn entire hotel can be built using shipping containers. Containers not only become the rooms of the hotel but provide the support structure and act as connecting unit between different sections of the hotel. Such a structure commands a niche as compared to regular hotels. Container Hotels are ideal for places where open land can be leased out for a certain period of time for the purpose of running a hotel. The container hotel is assembled on the open land and is dis-assembled and moved to a different location after the expiry of the lease.
Friday, April 27, 2012
Container Homes are a new approach towards modular, eco-friendly and cost effective housing. Useful spaces are created by arranging and joining containers in various positions. Arranging containers is similar to arranging lego bricks, except that the bricks are atleast 20ft long, 8ft wide and 8ft high.
It is hard to believe as how containers like above can be converted into a container home like below.
Container homes are a popular concept in Western countries, but in India, it has never been done before. In our case, we have used 2 old shipping containers to create a house equipped with a Living room, Bedroom, Kitchen, Bathroom and Balcony.
The entire complex consists of four containers, two making up the container home and other two being used as office space and bachelor pad.
In our previous Endeavour, we created a comfortable and cozy living unit for a single person using a single container.
The two containers act as two modular units of the house. One container is converted into a bedroom cum bathroom.
And the other container serves as the kitchen area and dining area.
Windows and Doors have been cut on the container sides to provide easy access. The container are placed in an L-shape, with other L becoming a 12ft by 12ft living room. The house boasts of a very unique wall made out of glass beer bottles, with a bullock cart wheel at its center.(as can be seen below)
The doors of the containers have been opened out to get extra 4ft of floor space as can be seen in the above photograph. More on the Container Home in later posts….
The possibilities with containers are endless, they open a completely new way of creating strong and cost-effective structures for regular use. Shipping containers are ideal building blocks for making comfortable and eco-friendly houses. Container Homes are not only economical to make but take considerably less time to build when compared to traditional houses.
Welcome to the world of Container Homes.
Bangalore Mirror News Article
TV9 Container House Coverage
Suvarna News Special Coverage
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Containers for Gallery and Shooting Arena
In our ongoing effort to create useful and effective structures using shipping containers, a Viewing Gallery and Shooting Arena has been created at PLAY X GAMES ARENA Bangalore.
Viewing Gallery and Shooting Arena are part of a bigger adventure sports complex. Shipping containers have been used to create a two floor structure, with the bottom area being the Shooing Arena while the top is the Viewing Gallery.
Two 40ft containers are used to create the base of the structure. The roof is made using the corrugated metal sheets and concrete.
The bottom containers provide an excellent area for rifle shooting with no further need to create a specialized arena for shooting. A 40ft long container gives the ample distance as well as the required safety.
Space in between the two containers can be used for all kinds of activities other than shooting as well.
The side walls double up as a reusable canvas.
A safe and secure shooting area.
The whole structure is made using shipping containers, metal beams and metal sheets. The cost of making such a structure using containers is less than half of the cost, to make it using brick and concrete (which would be the obvious way!!!).
Shipping containers provide a viable and cost-effective way to create structures which are easy & fast to build and it provides a way to salvage the raw materials (containers, beams, etc) in case of redesign.